Day 16 Inside Joke

Yesterday I was in the St Marys parking lot loading Eva up after her first piano lesson. My brother Tom happened to arrive to watch Holly play hockey. 

We both had other places to be. 

But for a good 10 minutes we spoke absolute crap to each other. Every possible irreverent inside joke was thrown, relics from our childhood were dredged up and anyone who didn't share the same home with us growing up might had thought we had actually lost it. 

I haven't laughed that much in a while. A laugh where none of the humour needs to be explained because it is literally in our DNA. 

I know Tom has had a hectic week. I know I have had a hectic week. Being an adult is hectic. 

But the blessing of siblings is that we carry in ourselves safe places for each other. We carry all our shared experiences together. And sometimes a brief moment in the past is all we need to feel safe in the present. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Voice of Scout

Its beginning to look a lot like a family reunion...

The Stuff That Gets Left Behind