Day 18 Perspective
Last night we all slept in a tent in the garden. Gray and Eva had made a very cozy bed on boogie boards under the palm tree and we pitched a tent next door. Gray was the first to buckle and join us in the tent and then Eva joined us when a frog jumped on her face.
I'm not going to lie, it wasn't my best night's sleep. My mattress options were two ill shaped couch cushions pushed together (and they so happened to be on a slight slope), or our cheap camping mattress that is so synthetic that one just slides off it.
I went for the camping mattress. Day two after a gym workout hit somewhere at 1.00 in the morning coinciding with Eva giving up her fight against gravity and rolling down from the couch cushions onto me and the kak camping mattress.
Judging by the contented snores and sighs of the rest of my adventurers it appears to have been a good night for everyone else.
This morning I woke with the ubiquitous dew halo on my head from the condensation on the tent and I had two small rabbits fighting for a spot next to me. When I stood up, crouched like an old crone due to tent height volume, the full impact of my gym workout and insufficient mattress made itself known.
I stumbled out of the tent clutching all my linen, I don't do sleeping bags, and took a cursory glance at the morning.
It was truly magnificent. Our home has undoubtedly one of the best views in the world and was resplendent in the early gold of the morning. Even the slightly different perspective from our camping spot, with the fresh morning air weaving it's way through the palm tree above us, was enough for me to feel like I had truly done something different. The sensory experience was enough to adjust my perception of my home and my view and my spirit.
Walking back up to the house I felt the slightest shift in my approach to the day, a little reset. Sometimes we don't have to travel far to see the world through fresh eyes. A new perspective is often all we need to stumble through in order to discover that exciting experiences don't have to be far away. Sometimes they're right under our noses.

Comments
Post a Comment